About HIWM Dr Saeid Sobhani
Dr Saeid Sobhani is a lecturer at The Islamic College (London) with more than 30 years of experience teaching Islamic studies, particularly Theology, Philosophy, Islamic Jurisprudence, the Principals of Jurisprudence, the History of Islamic Schools of Thought and Arabic grammar. Dr Sobhani has graduated with an MA in Inter-faith Relations from the University of Glasgow and holds a PhD from the University of Edinburgh in Philosophy of Religion. He has over 20 years of experience in studying and teaching in the Seminaries of Qum under the supervision of many grand scholars such as Ayatollah Ja’far Sobhani, Ayatollah Javadi Amuli, and Ayatollah Tabrizi. He has authored books in Philosophy, Islamic Jurisprudence, and Theology in English, Arabic, and Persian.
Research and Publications
- Diversity of Religions in the Eyes of Ayatollah Javadi and Professor Ayoub
- Epistemology, Imam Sadiq Institute
- The Maxim of no Harm (Niyl al-Watar fi al-Qaʿidah la Darar), Imam Sadiq Institute
- Predestination and Free will (Lubb al-Athar fi al-Jabr wa al-Qadar), Imam Sadiq Institute
- The Finality of Prophet Mohammad.
- A comparative study of Christology and Trinity in Christianity and Islam.
- Prophet Mohammad and his miracles; A critical essay of Ali Dashti’s view.
- Religious Pluralism (A Critique of an Article in Defense of Religious Pluralism)
- Doctrines of ʿAshura
- Comprehensive and universal law and repeal of previous laws
- Which of the two interpretations are correct? «کتاب الله و عترتی أهل بیتی» or «کتاب الله و سنتی»
- Sayyid Qutb and the status of Intellect (aql)
- Religious Exclusivism and its Outcomes
- Towards a theology of religions(book review)
- Mawdudi on the idea of Islamic Legislation
- Islam and Pluralism ‘A Critical Essay of Mahmut Aydin’s View’
- Excuse Me, but What’s the Question? Isn’t Religious Diversity Normal? (Article review)
- Faith Communities and Local Government in Glasgow (article review)
- Religious Pluralism: A Challenge for Muslims—A Theological Evaluation (article review)
- Presuppositions of Religious Dialogue (article review)
- Religion and Belief (article review)
Education, Qualification and Training
- PhD, Philosophy of Religion, University of Edinburgh
- MA, Inter-Faith Relations, University of Glasgow, 2006 – 2009
- Post-Doctoral level Course (Kharij), Seminary of Qum, 1991 – 2002
I attended the post-doctoral level course (Kharij) taught by the great Ayatullah Ja’far Sobhani and Ayatollah Tabrizi.
- Advanced Philosophy and Theology, Imam Sadiq Institute, Qum, 1991-1995
Key modules: Philosophy, Theology, Hermeneutics, Logic
- Advanced Tafsir, Ayatollah Javadi Amuli, 1988-1994
- BA, Islamic Studies, Seminary of Qum, 1983 – 1991
Key modules: Arabic literature, logic, Islamic philosophy, Quranic sciences, interpretation of the Quran, the Theological Schools of Thought (Milal va Nihal), the science of narrators and narrations(ʾIlm al-Rijal and al-Diruayah), Theology, Islamic Jurisprudence(Fiqh) and the Principles of the science of jurisprudence (ʾIlm Usul al-Fiqh)
Supervisors: Ayatollahs: Mudarris Afqani, Vijdani Fakhr, Iʿtimadi, Payani, Rabbani Gulpayigani.
- Lecturer, the Islamic College, London, currently
- Lecturer, Hawza of England, London, currently
[Islamic Jurisprudence, Theological School, Rijal, school of Islamic thoughts]
- Director, Hawza of Scotland, 2015-2019
- Director, al-Mahdi Islamic Institute, Glasgow, 2002-2019
- Lecturer, Hawza of Imam Sadiq, Qum, 1991-2002
- Lecturer, University of Qum
- Visiting lecturer, Azad University of Marvdasht (Shiraz)
- Islamic Jurisprudence, Theological School, (Seminary of Qum), 1996-2002
- Minster of Religion, Theological School, Qum, 1987-2002
- Lecturer, Theological School, (Seminary of Qom), 1989-1996
Field of Interests
Philosophy, Theology, Philosophy of Religion, Jurisprudence (Fiqh), the Principles of jurisprudence (ʾIlm Usul al-Fiqh), the science of narrators and narrations, Islamic
HIWM Seyed Hashem Moosavi
HIWM Seyed Hashem Moosavi is the head of ‘Islamic Centre of England’ with several years of experience in running different academic centers and teaching Islamic sciences around the world.